Monday, December 29, 2008

Chinese new year card

26th January 2009 is the new year for Chinese people. This is one of the biggest celebrations in China. They called it SPRING Festival :) Well, I am currently relocated in China and I think i should make some cards for my local friends and some chinese friends who are currently overseas. Well, I plan to make maximum 10 pieces only because I try not to burn out myself :)

I searched for the suitable paper and i found this in my box - Far Easy by DCWV . I bought this long time ago from Joann.


The design is very eastern - Chinese feeling - but i noticed something in this stack of papers. Some of the wordings are not suitable. It mentioned about death, sin, revenge.... Those who can't read Chinese but plan to use this for their Chinese friends, please take notes :) I circled the 3 most obvious papers in the JPEG attached above.

However, Chinese loves Red and Gold. It means good luck and prosperity to them. So i used these colours combination to make cards for my chinese friends. The word - FU means blessings and it was embossed with Stampin UP gold colour embossing powder.



Oh, how i get this wording? I have a spoilt punch which able to punch out the last word - FU and before it "died" yesterday :( So i took this FU words and made it as a MASKING - to stick on my Versa Mark and reverse stamp it on a piece of paper. So i got this negative effect and i add in gold powder and heat it :)

Simple stitches added on in the end :)

This card (below) - is from a piece of wrapping paper. The colour and texture is nice but the paper quality is not suitable for card making :( so just.. trial and error :)




7 comments:

Sharon in NE said...

Thank you for the information on those sheets of paper. Yikes...that would be bad!

Love your trick for using the punch and versa mark. The negative effective with gold embossing is beautiful!

Macchiato Gurl said...

Dong dong chiang... dong dong chiang....CNY songs have been in the air here even before Christmas. Hahaha... Happy Card Making for CNY. I'm sure you'll make loads of nice ones. Enjoy :)

Lindy Stamper said...

Great cards! It's funny, when I got the stack the same thoughts went thru my mind...

ChristineCreations said...

Beautiful! It's so fun to see your style and heritage incorporated in these. And that was so thoughtful of you to tell people about the wording too. Not something you'd want on your cards!

Happy New Year!

Juanita said...

Those are fantastic cards. Great colors and images

Ciyou said...

Gosh~~ the pattern paper is so lovely~~ Where did u get them from??

Marlene Lo said...

Ciyou, i get them from joann.com. USA.