Friday, August 15, 2008

Keep It Short and Simple = K.I.S.S

When i was with O&M advertising company, my Creative Director told me "Marlene, can you K.I.S.S.?!" I was like "Ops, i am just a teenager and you... em... em...." Then he said "Marlene, KISS = Keep it Short and Simple!" I try to apply KISS in all of my designs today, even card making.

Tagline - Short
Design - Simple

I have to admit that, i am not good in designing something complicated. (not that my strength is to keep it simple :p) Therefore, my cards are just.. Simple :)

While watching Olympic - women's table tennis Final - Singapore vs China, i was searching for a "small piece" of paper that could be used tonight as my challenge. I found this piece of stripe paper. It is a loose piece given by Liza. The size is about 12cm x 16cm. I told myself - I am going to make 3 cards using this precious 12 x 16cm paper. First, i created this! Something SUPER simple, right? I used the cherry stamp from "All through the year" and Cherish from "Warm Words". Both are from SU!

I decided to play with Brown - currently my favourite colour. I coloured the 1/3 of the flower from "Close as a memory" from SU and stamped on an ivory card from SU as well. I really wanted to say Thank you to my friend, Liza, who gave me some nice cardstocks before she left back to USA. Here comes the outcome :) The little piece of paper is fully utilized. Oh, Thanks to Alyssa who left a message at Stampinkub.com and gave me "hints"' on how to edge my card!

I challenge myself for another simple card using brown as background. Brown and Blue, Brown and Pink - just simple and nice... [i do think so :)] The stamps i used: Sweet Shapes and Wonderful Words.


Before i went to bed, i saw this cute ribbon - a gift from Sheerah from Malaysia. I recall that I promised to make a card using the ribbon given by her. So, here comes a cuttie card :p (never make this kind of "theme" before. However, I plan to give to my little brother- jiaxen - whose birthday is in October. Too early to prepare... ? Well, if i can make a better one, i will replace it.
I was kind of inspired by one of my company's bedding design before i decided to sleep just now. Arg.. is late now.. i will do it tomorrow! Hope to share with you though :)
Good night...
marlene

5 comments:

Savitri said...

Oh, so lovely! I love the 2nd and last the best although I'd take any if you give me one :)

I am very KISS when it comes to my cards. My scrapbooking can be a bit messy but I do love making simple ones here and there, like lately.

Now, here's my version of KISS: Keep it simple stupid, ha!

Call Me Crafty Al said...

Marlene, They are all just gorgeous! I love your simple style.
Alicia

Michelle said...

Fabulous cards Marlene! I just love, love the Happy Birthday one, so bright & cheerful!

Mrs. Nancy G said...

Love them!!!!

:-)

Sharon in NE said...

I love these Marlene. You make the most perfect bows. Your choice of colors and layout is just great and I just think the last one is so fun! I love the buttons!